Beethoven 3 “Eroica”, Overtures – From our review:
Conductor Gustavo Dudamel recorded Beethoven’s Fifth and Seventh Symphonies in 2006, with what was then the Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela. That recording made a sensation and it was therefore inevitable that, six years later, the same conductor and the same orchestra (now Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra) recorded another one of Beethoven’s symphonies: the Symphony No. 3, also known as “Eroica”.
The recording of Beethoven’s Third Symphony can be considered an even greater achievement than the previous recordings. In Dudamel’s rendition, the music flows unconditionally and powerfully, without encountering any resistance. The adjective “eroica” comes to the listener’s mind several times throughout the listening and seems more appropriate than ever to Beethoven’s masterpiece.
Dudamel’s conduction is brisk and energetic, ideal to describe minutely the epic journey of this music.
Beethoven 3 “Eroica”, Overtures – Tracklist:
- Beethoven: Symphony No.3 In E-Flat Major, Op.55 – “Eroica” – 1. Allegro con brio
- Beethoven: Symphony No.3 In E-Flat Major, Op.55 – “Eroica” – 2. Marcia funebre (Adagio assai)
- Beethoven: Symphony No.3 In E-Flat Major, Op.55 – “Eroica” – 3. Scherzo (Allegro vivace)
- Beethoven: Symphony No.3 In E-Flat Major, Op.55 – “Eroica” – 4. Finale (Allegro molto)
- Beethoven: The Creatures Of Prometheus, Op.43 – Overtura. Adagio – Allegro molto con brio
- Beethoven: Music To Goethe’s Tragedy “Egmont” Op.84 – Overture
Recording location: Caracas, Centro de Acción Social por la Música (Sala Simón Bolívar), 3/2012